Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Oh I have been wanted to share this with the pubic for so many years…

Handicap Parking ~ I am all for it, if you are legal that’s great, don't abuse it.

First, I hear complaints that there are too many handicap parking spots….well it only seems that way. There are countless times that I could not find parking. I have had to carry T to the door or she was so exhausted that she couldn’t walk once we got in the store or people trying to run us over because we are slow walking across the parking lot. In fact it seems as if the problem is getting worse as she gets older.

AND THE LOADING ZONE….you know that huge spot that is between the handicap parking. That is not a parking spot!!!!! It is there because people with disabilities sometimes have equipment and they need the extra room. You park there I can not be responsible for ding and scratches to your car. I once got cussed out and almost ran over for asking an illegal parker to move so that T would not scratch her car. It scared my little ones…..and I feel bad for hers. We called the police.

Okay with that said here is my real bitch….it is the people legal to park there. Every day I go to pick T up, she is the only child in the elementary school with a physical handicap. 600 students and I swear 500 of them get picked up by their adults. 600 students and there are only 35 to 40 parking spots. 600 students and every one of them have very active parents and grandparents in the school; on a special occasion there are at least 1800 people in and out of that building. With 600 students there are 30 or more teachers, 2 of them are disabled. There are 3 handicap parking spots …..3!!!! Do the math.

Okay so we plan ahead sometimes we walk or show up early….that’s alright. But when I go and pick up my child (reminder I am saving the district thousands of dollars doing this) and I can’t find a parking spot…or I can’t load at the fire lane (cause it takes to long)….I have to show up 15 minutes early to get a handicap parking spot….or wait 20 minutes to get a spot. The reason why…..

grandparents who pick up their children. Okay one year it was the lesbian couple that always made out. Try explaining that to your kindergartener. They must have all the time in the world, they show up to the school 15 to 20 minutes early to pick up physically able children. Where do they park?...Handicap parking. Sure they are legal but they never get out of their car. I know these children they are not only physical able to walk but also mentally able to find the car they need to.

I have discussed with the school about adding a student Handicap Parking Spot; but that is discrimination. I would talk to the abusers but I really don’t want to get ran over or cussed at in the school parking lot. I have asked the principal to talk to them, but they are legally parked there. Once the school even had the cops out to ticket the abusers, but they were legal. The school did finally help; we now have the special permission to park in the handicap loading zone. No thank you!!! So now I pick my kids up 15 minutes late everyday to avoid the stress.

My point is if you are legal to park in Handicap Parking you should only use it when you have to get out of the car to go inside. Stepping out of the car to open the door for you child does not count.

Maybe its time to write to Ann Landers or Miss Manners…….

4 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

*Hugs* ...ever thought about polotics?...could be a good job you could do some @$$ kickin :o)~

12:33 PM, September 14, 2005  
Blogger Klondike Kate said...

Wow! Thanks for giving me a new perspective on handicapped spots. I'm ready to go beat them all up for you!!!

3:40 PM, September 15, 2005  
Blogger Heidi said...

Okay now how come nobody has caught that spelling error in the title?

9:12 AM, September 16, 2005  
Blogger Shana said...

We caught it sis we are being polite. hehe sides that anyone that knows you knows you, knows your spelling inadequacies. Oh ya I will be sure to speak up to offenders for ya....want me to pick up T. my reality

1:14 PM, September 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home