Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Little Red Wagon

I overheard a conversation this weekend at J 60th birthday party, only briefly, all I heard (or where my mind went) was the potty mouth language that goes along with the story, so I have to explain and tell the whole story.

My father turned 60 this year, also. We had a party with a different theme. My father is a prankster, he lies, cheats, and steals; but it is all in play. We invited family and friends to share stories, or pranks that he has played, or times when they actually pulled one over on him. This was great fun, I had written to his family in Colorado, and got even more stories. I will probably share those someday because some of them have to do with the adults that we grew up with, old teachers, business owners, and community leaders; just fun stuff nothing to outrageous. Here’s the story my Aunt shared, bringing me to this blog ….

It all started about 55 or 56 years ago, in Montrose Colorado, it was a different time. There wasn’t so much waste, children only got the necessities and presents were only given on birthdays and Christmas. I am sure they struggled just to put food on the table. It was Christmas and my father was a young boy 4 or 5, he received a Red Rider Wagon for Christmas. It must have been a good year for them, he had 4 older siblings, I believe he was the youngest at the time, I am sure the red wagon really stretched their budget.

This crew is/was a rowdy one; I am surprised my grandmother lived through it all. Between the boys hanging each other when playing cowboys and Indians, or dipping the youngest sister into the outhouse, or egging the “Law” to chase them down. They loved being boys…anyway, back to the red wagon….

It was Christmas my father (4 or 5 Years old) had just gotten this bright red wagon; it was even a Red Rider. Could you imagine a young boy getting such a great present, the excitement must have been tremendous. Well, after the morning celebration, it was time to go for a ride. Well a fight immediately broke out on who was going to test drive it. Uncle Don, Uncle Tad, and Uncle Larry (the three oldest boys) decided they should take it for the first ride, yah know, to make sure it was safe. Well I’m sure my father had different idea, it was his present and he wasn’t going to let them make the maiden voyage. I am so sure Dad was dancing around whining (I had to get that from someone) that he should ride first. Most of us would say that he should of gotten the first ride, but my grandfather being the kind man that he was, looked at him and said “Quit being a TISSY TISSY TIGHTASS!!” and he let the older boys go for the first ride.

Montrose is a farming area, lots of rolling hills and drainage ditches, my grandparents lived at the top of one of rolling hills. The three older boys climbed into the wagon at the top of the hill, I imagine dad was still whining but not letting grandpa hear. Well they went faster and faster down that hill, no one gave it a second thought that although wagons have steering they do NOT have brakes. They shoved off, also not thinking about the drainage ditch at the bottom. Needless to say they caught air…..no broken bones but that red wagon never saw another ride.

Along with Aunt Pat’s story she gave him this…….

(Anna'a photo)

I think I will share the rest of the story another day. Yes there is more…….

3 Comments:

Blogger Princess Sarah said...

Well you got my attention I cannot wait for the rest of the story, I seen it there at his party but never got the story behind it very intreiging so far.

6:46 PM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Klondike Kate said...

who the heck came up with "tissy"? what a word! great story!

7:11 PM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Tabitha-n-AK said...

U alway's keep me cumm'n back 4 more.......

9:50 AM, September 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home