Friday, December 23, 2005

A Christmas Novel

Last night I started a new book that was recommended to me by a girl scout; it is called Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, on the first page was this poem.

If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic bean buyer,

If you-re a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in !

Come in!

Shel Silverstiein

I have read many of Shel Silverstiens books, and I am sure I have heard this poem, but last night it reminded me of my father. I received my annual Christmas novel from my daddy earlier this week. With me finishing up The DaVinci Code I didn’t get to it till yesterday. I woke up yesterday morning, got my coffee, and climbed back into bed for a day of reading, it took a lot of work but I finally finished it around 10 pm. seeing how his work is STILL unpublished (where’s your blog?) I will give you the rundown of last year for you….

1. Great granddaughter born (named after Great grandma and her Family) Riley James.

2. His 60th Birthday

3. Publishing of The Little Big Man- A very good book you have to go out and buy it I wish I could. Seeing how it still on someones hard drive there is no reson it couldn't be published on the the web. You could Blog it Aunt Pat!!! (not to be confused with the 1970's film)

4. Uncle Bill is in Iraq driving trucks for the Salvation Army (more on him later).

5. Aunt Pat has changed her name to “Patti Been Laiden” she has joined a terrorist cell here in Anchorage. Her and her 20 odd cell members (a class of 2nd graders) captured Stan Lee Moose and have been holding him hostage. They have sent hostage photos and until my father is nice to his baby sister “Patti Been Lainden” Stan Lee Moose will not be returned. This terrorist Cell Group is not to be feared…well, except the ugly little girl sitting in the front of the ransom photo.

6. Dad is now Uncle Ducky’s Pimp…seeing how he has been married at least 7 times, I am not sure he needs one, but… dad hooked him up with an OLD friend, she hadn’t seen Uncle Ducky since before he had any fuzz on his winky. (his word not mine).

7. Dad took my cousin fishing, something he has not done with me in 25 years….but that’s okay I HATE FISH!!!! They scare me! But next time you take her drinking you better bring me, Brandy could be fun!!!

8. My cousin Dalene (Uncle Ducks Daughter) must have sent dad a hell of a Christmas letter, because she had a full page dedicated to her, with photo’s. She must have questioned dad’s relationship with god. Saying that his “religious belief and ordainment as some kind of tax fraud”. This verse was shared in his letter as he tried to convince her his beliefs are real, John the Baptist (probably referring to my husband),known in dad’s good book as the Fisherman of the Galilee, spoke “go thou to the sea, and cast in a hook; and that fish which shall first come up and take” . A cold morning in May dad received this word, when he “cast in a hook and that fish DID take” it was the largest measuring 5.5 cubits in length. As he fought that fish for 30 minutes, the fish was finally on the banks, that was when he truly new he was blessed with the gift…but with on final flip of its tail he was back in the water. This is the point that dad found his calling. To this day he continues his work…the catering to the “Fisher of Men” specializing in Fresh bait, marriages, and baptisms. He asked for no offerings just a little groping during the Baptismal.

(there was also a poem included...it deserves its own place in my blog...I will post it at a later date)

9. He also lectured Dalene about proper language in Christmas letters. Words like Penis, Crap, Erections, and Hoo Hoo’s (a Ute Indian word for beaver?) does not belong in our season greeting.

10. Uncle Bill (see #4) also had an eventful year…he went to find my long lost uncle Fred Whitfield (a huge rodeo star). Bill drove all the way to Hockley Texas to meet him…needless to say Uncle Fred doesn’t ever want to see a Harrington again.

11. With the Harrington’s being known to produce world famous wrestlers, Brittany (my niece) caught the paragraph of the Christmas novel, which is quit the honor. She is noted for being undefeated and that she doesn’t date the boys she Wrestles them. We held a small family meet and she LOST both of her matches and could not move on. She lost to a 60-year-old man in 12 seconds…I also kicked her butt. Being abused by my brother gave me some good moves.

Anyway that was his year …along with that came this disclosure…..

As a word of caution, at times it is remotely possible that I embellish a story or conjure up a concept and even though it sounds feasible, and almost factually correct, you really should not take it as seriously…….

3 Comments:

Blogger FishTaxi said...

Shel Silverstein is a favorite of mine. "Where the Sidewalk Ends" was a book my daughter & niece learned to read by.

Did you know he wrote the song "A Boy Named Sue"?

7:48 PM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger Heidi said...

i didn't know that, i love the song...thanks, i am sure i will regurgitate that fact over and over. My favorite is "the giving tree"...

9:29 PM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger Shana said...

so sister I have read the blog....and Dads Christmas letter...Shel Silverstein is my favorite also. I have read many of his books and hear their is a new one out that I need to find. Loves

9:48 AM, December 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home